Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hemp Flour - Packed Full of Nutrition Goodness .... Product Review for HempSeedOil.eu





Since my husband was diagnosed with having a Leaky Gut and his diet has changed so much because of it { and now I, too, am on the same diet }, our meals have become even more methodical and creative, as we try various different kinds of flours and noodles to substitute the common products offered on the shelves that, turns out.. 

A lot of people are probably allergic to and have no idea!

Needless to say, I was more than excited when I was contacted by 

HempSeedOil.eu to do a review on their Hemp Flour.

Hemp Flour is incredibly good for you. It is high in protein and it doesn't take much at all to use. 


This is the nutrition info straight from HempSeedOil.eu
click for source

It is more of a flour enhancer than a flour substitute. 

The texture is a bit grainy, the color is greenish and the smell/taste is...

Well, it's hempy!

For more on their products, and what they so perfectly refer to as Superfood, visit their Superfood Page! You'll find anything from Hemp Oil, to Hemp Seeds & Hearts, to Hemp Candy Bars!

We blend our hulled Hemp Seeds (aka Hemp Hearts) in with our infant's baby food when we puree it up in the baby bullet for a little extra protein. 

One of the best things about the protein in hemp products is that it is very easy to digest, even on the littlest bellies. :)



My Hemp Flour Experiment: 


Knowing it is recommended to only use 1/3 cup of the Hemp Flour on their website, I decided to up it a little and attempt { <---important word there! "attempt" } to make some yummy breakfast bars that are packed full of protein. 

So to test the Hemp Flour I grabbed the Garbanzo/Fava Flour & Coconut Flour I have on hand these days to replace the White-Bleached All Purpose Flour and started measuring away! 

I added 1/2 cup Garbanzo/Fava, 1/2 cup Coconut Flour & 1/2 cup Hemp Flour. 

 Next I stirred in some Vanilla Extract, some Flax Seeds, Hemp Hearts for another extra kick of protein, coconut oil to replace the butter needed, some potato starch & xanthum gum to help hold the flours together (this is needed when not using an All-Purpose-Flour), some Almond Milk, Agave Nectar for sweetener, and then I layered it on the bottom of an 8x8 round metal pan with half of the mixture.

Next I put a layer of Organic Strawberry Jelly over it, and then topped it off with the rest of the mixture. 



How does it taste?  
Hempy! ...and like a nutrition bar WOULD taste.

What does it look like? 
Greenish! 

Is it edible? 
Absolutely! If you like the taste of health-bar-type-treats. 
My teenager likes them with his yogurt & chia seeds in the mornings.

What is the texture like?
Cake-like & too soft and crumbly to call a "bar". 
{this is why I emphasized "attempt"}




Now.... The things I will do differently next time.

And there WILL be a next time because now I am determined to make it perfect!


1 1/2 cups of Garbanzo/Fava flour, 1/3 cup of Coconut flour (it probably contributed to the crumbliness) & 1/3 cup of Hemp Flour (as recommended; I'm a rebellion, what can I say?! LOL). 

Also, it would be better to use a square pan so that when I cut them into bars, they actually look like bars. :) 





All in all, I would definitely recommend purchasing some Hemp Flour or any of the Hemp Products from HempSeedOil.eu.  A little goes a long way, it is nutritious and one of the best & easiest ways to add a little extra protein to a meal!







No comments:

Post a Comment